Some believe the term "blockchain" is relevant only to cryptocurrencies and NFTs. These concepts are based on this method, but blockchain has dramatically expanded in recent years, affecting many areas, including web development. Such a decentralized algorithm is set to revolutionize the digital product development industry by reducing the risks of cybercrime, illegal access, and other fraudulent schemes. Let's discuss how blockchain affects programming today and what we should expect from this platform in the long run.
What is Blockchain?
Simply put, a blockchain is a technique for recording information that protects a dataset from unauthorized changes, hacking attempts, and other manipulations. Such a distributed ledger duplicates and distributes manipulations across a computer system that participates in the blockchain.
The technique stores public records of processes, called blocks, in various datasets, known as a chain, in the network, where peers provide the connection. Such repositories are known as "digital ledgers."
The owner's digital signature is required to change such a ledger, confirming the operation's legality and protecting the structure from illegal actions. It means all the data in the digital system is under constant control.
How does blockchain change web development?
Information privacy is one of the critical moments of app development. As the number of cyberattacks increases daily, it is challenging to overestimate the role of security technologies. Let's analyze how distributed ledger affects web systems:
Although technology generates an open network accessible to everyone, each information block can be further encrypted. The method is relevant for messaging solutions, where the sender and recipient can only view information.
Online marketing technologies are changing as a result of decentralized systems. Blockchain mechanisms allow consumers to get the latest data. The technology also deepens the trust between the advertiser and the site owner when using display advertising.
The blockchain can be used to run interactive virtual platforms that assist users. A logical solution is to create websites with interactive features without a centralized page. Online page owners can update their content through blockchain and artificial intelligence.
Modern organizations are increasingly considering utilizing blockchain to create accessible applications to increase their presence in the market. The decentralized method eliminates the need to deal with agents to monitor transactions, which is especially beneficial for eCommerce enterprises.
Benefits of Blockchain in Web Development
Added blockchain to generate digital solutions has proven productive; such a technique has affected the business environment more than expected. High-tech corporations offer blockchain services to meet customers' growing needs. Firms adopt this method into their day-to-day job to protect insight from misuse. These databases also have the following advantages:
- Decentralization: a distributed ledger is tracked not by an authorized authority but by network users, which guarantees operations honesty.
- Increased safety: the consensus algorithm based on cryptography and decentralization makes blockchain inherently safe.
- Reduced overhead expenses: the technology eliminates the need to involve a third party and reduces paperwork, reducing overhead costs.
- Effective control: each operation is displayed in the system and generates an information trail that cannot be changed.
Problems With Blockchain Technology
In light of the main benefits of blockchain technology, it is fair to discuss the problems that may arise when using it. The main difficulty is related to the limited scalability of the technology. In other words, if many customers use the distributed ledger to make changes simultaneously, it can slow down its functioning and degrade its performance. Consider other decentralized storage problems:
- Significant power consumption. Some systems require large amounts of power, so they consume electricity.
- Data consistency is another vital property that prevents users from removing insights if they are already inserted.
All of the above suggests blockchain works smoothly in the web development system; sometimes, you can only find the right solution through trial and error. Overall, however, the profits of the technique outweigh the costs for firms that want to develop secure and efficient digital products.
Apps and protocols for blockchain web development
The fields of web design and web development have significant potential. Blockchain has now emerged as another trend in this area. Websites can keep track of datasets efficiently if they adopt the right techniques. The most common use cases for these techniques are:
- Smart contracts are parts of programs that run only when pre-specified conditions are met. Today, such elements are actively used along with other tools, including CSS, HTML, and APIs. Smart contract protocols are beneficial if you need to access and store information quickly.
- Network architecture distributed ledgers rely on multiple computers in the network to verify each project rather than their authority, which makes them more secure. If the programming project is located on client servers, the technique allows developers to control all processes and get the maximum benefit from the network architecture.
- A decentralized application (DAPP) employs the dispersed properties of a blockchain to increase creator control over a digital product. Such an application allows the author to work on the software with full authority, relying on various nodes in the network.
This is not an exhaustive list of the options available for integrating distributed ledgers into a web-based system. However, other areas have yet to be fully explored. Their active use in creating digital products may take some time.
The future of blockchain in web development
Blockchain can vary how we use the Internet, and some changes have already occurred. Technology has primarily influenced software creation, as digital marketing has created a growing need for advanced web development and design services. Blockchain influence in these areas is expected to increase rapidly, so developers must adapt to such a rapidly evolving methodology. It is essential to understand what changes they should prepare for.
Dispersed cloud storage
Cloud storage is one of the most popular web features. Information lovers, including Dropbox and Microsoft Azure, use data hubs to store user insights. However, cloud adoption comes with significant security breaches and data outage risks.
Let's imagine a system where the functionality of the cloud structure is based on the blockchain. It is what distributed cloud storage can offer. It uses features of the blockchain, including public and private key encryption, transaction tracking, and hash functions for decentralized storage. Each user will control their devices and data, as hackers have no central server to break into. In the future, distributed storage will replace the underlying cloud system as a web function.
Creating the most interactive websites
A critical property of the distributed ledger is its interactivity. Combining blockchain technology and web development allows you to increase interactivity. Given Google's experience, web developers must create the most fluid sites that adapt to users' desires.
All specialists will ensure that issues such as data abstraction are not passed on to web resource visitors. It can be achieved by separating the external interface from the system background operation. As a result, the user only has to understand the principles of the external interface without delving into all the subtleties of the software.
What are the main differences between developing a website and a blockchain?
Both blockchain and web technologies describe connection protocols, but the types of connections are changing. With web systems, you can securely exchange data with any of your choices.
Blockchain allows you to connect with anyone to share value effectively, but the exchange processes must occur under everyone's supervision. Let's discuss the differences between web development and blockchain development processes.
Website development features
Web app development is a set of technologies developers use to create a program. The process is known as the «software development life cycle». The workflow includes six steps:
- Determination of needs. Market research is necessary no matter what industry the product will be used in.
- Requirements analysis. Experts thoroughly review each element, determine developer responsibilities, and test standards to obtain a quality product.
- Design: architects define the high-tech requirements to provide reliable digital product development services.
- Coding. In the initial stages of a software development process, computer engineers create code according to the wishes and standards identified earlier. After that, the program is tested in a testing environment.
- Testing. This procedure allows you to test the product's operation to ensure it meets the requirements.
- Deployment and support. You can release the program to users only after all errors are resolved. The development company also creates a digital product support team.
Developers can utilize different tools and skills at various stages of web development. Sometimes specialists meet with clients to find out all the conditions.
How does blockchain development happen?
Blockchain development organizations make data exchange faster, safer, and more cost-effective. In addition, there is no need to involve third parties whose main task is to increase trust and introduce certification, e.g., notaries. The procedure for developing apps on a blockchain includes the following steps:
- Target selection: it is essential to perform a thorough project analysis; the team must understand what problems must be solved when creating a digital product.
- Finding a platform: before choosing a blockchain service delivery method, you should decide whether to use a ready-made blockchain or create a solution from scratch.
- Tokens: the concept of tokens defines the structure of each ecosystem in the blockchain environment and describes different economic systems.
- Proof-of-Concept (PoC): a technique to show how a blockchain-based project will work. Such a prototype contains sketches defining layouts, design, and information architecture.
- Design: at this stage, the specialists plan the entire application creation program and create user interfaces for different app elements.
- Coding: it's time to generate the application.
Once all the services for creating blockchain software are agreed upon, Alpha testing can begin.
The final words
Even though blockchain is still in its development stage, it has great potential for technological development. The decentralized system guarantees verification effectiveness, including operational and regulatory aspects, optimal transparency, and traceability. Using such technology, big data is successfully combined with extensive information bases. Adding blockchain solutions to web development can reduce costs and make many services more competitive.